An APA accredited conventional doctoral program delivered in an unconventional way
Mission & Aims of the Program
Fielding’s APA accredited Clinical Psychology PhD program is strongly aligned with the university’s mission to create a more humane, just, and sustainable world, and the university’s values that include academic excellence, community, diversity, and social justice.
Consistent with these values, a core mission of our program is to foster inclusion of students from under-represented populations. These populations include students living in small communities, rural, or remote locations of the United States, students currently in the military or spouses of military members, adult learners with families, and students whose ongoing participation in their current communities cannot be halted for doctoral study elsewhere. These are student populations who are often unable to enter the field through preparation at a traditional university campus, yet these are the future psychologists for which the discipline and profession has expressed an urgent need.
In addition, our program aims to graduate entry level scholar-practitioner psychologists who bring social justice values to their work as licensed health service professionals. Consistent with this overarching aim, we have four specific aims for our students, which must be achieved by the time of graduation.
- Students will demonstrate doctoral-level discipline specific knowledge that represents the scientific and theoretical knowledge areas of the discipline of psychology (i.e., history and systems of psychology and the affective, biological, cognitive, developmental, and social bases of behavior).
- Students will demonstrate doctoral-level conceptualization, evaluation, analysis, and integration of discipline-specific knowledge across the curriculum.
- Students will demonstrate doctoral-level ability to understand and critique research; design, conduct, analyze, and communicate theoretically informed research; and conduct research in a manner that is culturally sensitive and consistent with legal code and ethical standards, including the APA ethics code.
- Students will demonstrate doctoral-level competence in the profession-wide competencies, including conducting evidence-based diagnosis, assessment, and psychotherapy; and applying theory and research to develop case conceptualizations, treatment plans, and interventions that are consistent with legal and ethical standards and individual and cultural diversity factors.
Serving adults, many of whom who have trained or worked in the mental health field, our unique distributed learning model blends the best of face to face learning opportunities with digital formats.
Faculty are active scholars and practitioners with a wide variety of expertise, which allows us to offer specialized concentrations and training in a variety of therapeutic orientations.
The Fielding Experience
- Become a member of a dynamic and diverse community of colleagues
- Interact with and learn from our expert faculty located all across the country
- Attend monthly professional development seminar in your geographic area
- Engage with alumni, faculty, and other students at sessions
The program only considers applicants who reside in the contiguous United States and Canada. The program is not available to those residing internationally (except Canada). Applicants from Alaska and Hawaii may be considered pending confirmation of their ability and resources to attend local professional development seminars in contiguous U.S. on a regular basis, access to acceptable practicum training sites, and ability to relocate for internship. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be put in touch with the Program Director for consideration prior to applying.)
Due to state licensing requirements, graduates of the program are not eligible for licensure in Oklahoma.
Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data
In accordance with requirements of the American Psychological Association (APA), Fielding Graduate University provides Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data pertaining to the education of our graduate students.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Online Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of Purpose
- Critical Thinking Writing Sample
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcript
- No GRE Required
Apply by February 4, 2020to start in FALL 2020
Start your application NOW!