Engage in multi-disciplinary, cutting-edge scholarship
Become an Agent of Change
The PhD in Infant and Early Childhood Development (IECD) with emphases in mental health and developmental disorders is a multidisciplinary degree that includes mental health, education, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech and language development, and the neurosciences. Our faculty teach typical and atypical infant and family development using a curriculum that includes physiological, emotional, cognitive, behavioral, social, and cross-cultural perspectives.
Further Your Career in a Variety of Fields
The PhD in IECD is designed for working professionals who wish to broaden their knowledge and understanding of infant and childhood development. With this degree, students can influence change in many disciplines: childcare, health education and community health work, mental-health counseling, occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychology, social work, special education, and speech-language pathology, among others.
In the IECD program, students will:
- Prepare for a career in infant mental health and developmental disabilities, using a multidisciplinary framework.
- Focus on teaching skills to understand typical and atypical child and family development.
- Learn about parent/child relationships in cross-cultural contexts.
- Collaborate with professionals from multiple disciplines who live around the world, based on doctoral-level standards.
- Engage in comprehensive, in-depth discussions of cutting-edge issues in areas related to child and family development.
The Infant and Early Childhood Development (IECD) program PhD is a partner with the Alliance for the Advancement of Infant Mental Health (Alliance). The Alliance is a global organization of those states and countries whose infant mental health associations have licensed the use of the Competency Guidelines® and/or the Endorsement for Culturally Sensitive, Relationship- Focused Practice Promoting Infant Mental Health® (Endorsement®) under their associations’ names.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Online Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Statement of Purpose
- Critical Thinking Writing Sample
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcript
- No GRE Required