The State Authorization Unit of the University of North Carolina System Office serves as the official state entity to receive complaints concerning post-secondary institutions that are authorized to operate in North Carolina. If students are unable to resolve a complaint through the institution’s grievance procedures, they can review the Student Complaint Policy (PDF) and submit their complaint using the online complaint form at

For more information contact:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

223 S. West Street, Suite 1800, Raleigh, NC 27603

(919) 962-4558

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Espanol (919) 716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division Attorney General’s Office Mail Service Center

9001 Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

Copies of the surety bond filed with the State of North Carolina can be requested from the Office of the Registrar: