Q. How do I receive financial aid funds?

A. In general, financial aid funding from any source is sent directly to the school.  The funds are applied as a credit to your student account, and used to cover costs for tuition and fees charged by the university.  If funds cause a credit balance, and you are eligible to receive the credit, those funds will be sent by check or electronic deposit to you within 14 days of the funds being disbursed to your student account.

Q. Can I still complete the FAFSA if I have not yet submitted my taxes?

A. Yes.  The FAFSA uses tax information from two years prior, not the immediate past year.  This means that tax information would be available in most cases.

Q. Do I have to be accepted into Fielding before applying for federal loan funding?

A. No. You are encouraged to submit your FAFSA at the same time that you complete your admissions application.  The FAFSA can take several days to process, and it contains important information about your aid eligibility that can only be accessed through the completed submission.

Q. Can I reduce or increase my federal student loan after it has been processed or during the year?

A. Yes. You may request a change to your federal student loan funding at any time during the loan period, as noted on your Financial Aid Offer, by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

Q. My income on the FAFSA is very different than my income will be as a graduate student. Does this mean I will not be eligible for financial aid?

A. The US federal loans that are available to graduate students are not need-based, so your income level will not change the amount of loans you may receive.  Your income and the estimated family contribution (EFC) calculation on the FAFSA will be used if you apply for need-based scholarships from Fielding or another organization.  Contact the Financial Aid Office if you are applying for a need-based scholarship and want to request a review of your EFC.

Q. How are loans generally set up?

A. Loans are generally created to provide disbursements of three equal amounts, and the anticipated disbursement date is approximately one week before the start of each of term. In special circumstances, such as when a student will be graduating in one or two terms, we can originate the loan to be disbursed equally over one or two terms. Your Financial Aid, available in myFielding Student Self-Service once your loan has been originated, displays your loan period, loan amounts, and first possible disbursement dates for each term.

Q. How much can I borrow annually?

A. Students may borrow up to the cost of attendance for their program through a combination of federal loans and/or other funding sources.  The Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan has an annual borrowing limit of $20,500/year for all programs except the Clinical Psychology PhD program which is eligible for a maximum of $37,167/year.

Q. How are employer reimbursements handled?

A. If your employer offers reimbursement of educational costs, your HR department can usually provide you with information about the documents that they will need in order to complete the reimbursement.  Fielding’s administrative offices will work with you to help you obtain the documentation needed.

Q. Does Fielding offer work-study employment opportunities?

A. Fielding does not have an on-campus student employment program. However, it is possible that a student could apply for a regular open position and be offered employment. See our current job openings for more information.

Q. When is tuition due?

A. Tuition is due at the start of each term, as listed on the student billing statement sent one month prior to the start of the term.  Incoming students will need to confirm tuition payment during the enrollment process, as outlined by the admissions office.

Q. Can I receive refunds electronically (direct deposit)?

A. Yes, students can sign up for direct deposit through our student service system, WebAdvisor.  Information about the direct deposit is provided during the orientation for new students.

Q. I am not attending this term, why do I keep getting a bill?

A. Outstanding balances will be charged a finance charge and will generate a monthly statement. If the balance is for registration into a course, and if for any reason you will not be attending, you must drop or withdraw prior to the first day of the term. Please remember that you are financially and academically responsible for your enrollment.