Areas of Instruction:
- Organization Studies
- Organization Development & Change
- Management & Leadership
Scholarly & Professional Interests:
- Management of change
- Whole systems change using large group methods
- Organizational stress
- Emotions and social contagion
- Quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Experiential learning.
- Academy of Management, Division Chair, Organization Development and Change, 2008.
Honors and Awards:
- Best paper (Boundary Spanning Award), Awarded by the Managerial and Organizational Cognition Division at the 70th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada, 2010.
- Avramchuk, A.S., Manning, M.R. & Carpino, R.A. (accepted for publication) Compassion for a Change: A Review of Research and Theory. In Woodman, R.W.,Pasmore, W.A., and Shani, R. (Eds.), Research in Organizational Change and Development (Vol. 20), Bingley, United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing, Ltd.
- Gomez, C., Perea, Y. & Manning, M.R. (2012) Knowledge transfer in higher education: The case of Monterrey Institute of Technology. International Journal of Management in Education. 6 (1/2), 101-119.
- Tobey, D.H., Manning, M.R. & Nash, M.M. (2010) The change moment: Emotive markers predicting the onset of social movements. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, 1-6. (Best Paper award, Managerial and Organizational Cognition Division, Academy of Management)
- Tobey, D.H. & Manning, M.R. (2009) Melting the glacier: Activating neural mechanisms to create rapid large-scale organizational change. In Woodman R.W. ,Pasmore, W.A., and Shani, R. (Eds.), Research in Organizational Change and Development (Vol. 17), Bingley, United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing, Ltd.: 175-209.
- Tobey, D.H. & Manning, M.R. (in press) Melting the glacier: Activating neural mechanisms to create sustainable large-scale organizational change. In Woodman, R.W. and Pasmore, W.A. (Eds.), Research in Organizational Change and Development.
- Manning, M.R. & DelaCerda Gastélum, J. (2006) Creating Whole Systems Change in Mexico. In Barbara Bunker and Billie Alban (Eds.), Handbook of Large Group Methods, Sage Publishing: 256-276.
- Fusilier, M.R. & Manning, M.R. (2005) Psychosocial predictors of health status revisited. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 28, (4), 347-358.
- Wright, C.R. & Manning, M.R. (2004) Resourceful sensemaking in an administrative group. Journal of Management Studies, 41, (4), 623-643
- Manning, M.R. & DelaCerda Gastélum, J. (2003) Building organizational change in an emerging economy: Whole systems change using large group interventions in Mexico. In Woodman R.W. and Pasmore, W.A. (Eds.), Research in Organizational Change and Development (Vol. 14), Kidlington, Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science: 51-97
- Weber, P.S. & Manning, M.R. (2001) Cause maps, sensemaking, and organizational change. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 37, (2), 227-251
- Manning, M.R. & Fusilier, M.R. (1999) The relationship between stress and health care use: An investigation of the buffering roles of personality, social support, and exercise. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 47, (2), 159-173
Paper Presentations and Symposia at National Academy of Management Conferences:
- “The Change Moment: Emotive Markers Predicting the Onset of Social Movements.” (with David Tobey and Mary Nash)
- “Melting the Glacier: Activating Neural Mechanisms to Create Sustainable Large-Scale Organizational Change.” Symposium on “Why Positive Questions Matter” (with David Tobey)
- “Bridging Transitions in Emerging Economies with Large Scale Interventions: The Case of Mexico,” (with José DelaCerda Gastélum).
- “Organizational Interventions: Frameworks for Evaluating Whole Systems Change,” (with Paula S. Weber).
- ARPA Grant 04AL98816 from the Interagency Technology Reinvestment Project, “Manufacturing Engineering Education: Engineering Education in Manufacturing Across the Curriculum,” 1995 1997 (Co investigator, $310,347).
- Research Grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation's New Directions Project to evaluate a Comprehensive Health Promotion Program, 1984 1987. (Co Principal Investigator, 3 years of funding, $266,000 budget).
- 2005-present Professor, School of Human and Organization Development, Fielding Graduate University, Santa Barbara, California
- 1995-2012 Professor of Management, College of Business, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM.
- 1997-present Visiting Professor Aalto University, numerous lecturer positions: Helsinki School of Economics (Mikkeli and Helsinki, Finland, Poznan School of Banking, Poznan, Poland, Graduate Institute of Management, Seoul School of Integrated Sciences and Technologies, Seoul, South Korea), Helsinki University of Technology (School of Science and Technology, Department of Industrial Engineering and Management, Institute of Strategy and International Business, Helsinki, Finland)
- 1998-present Distinguished Visiting Scholar, Ph.D. Program in Organization Development and Ph.D. Program in Values-Driven Leadership, Benedictine University
- 1998-present Visiting Scholar and Lecturer in Mexico: Instituto Tecnologico de Destudios Superiores de Occidente (ITESO) in Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, Secretaria de Finanzas of the State Government of Jalisco and the PAN political party; Universidad del Valle de Atemajac, Instituto Tecnologico de Estudio Superior de Monterrey, Instituto Tecnologico de Destudios Superiores de Occidente, Secretaría de Administration Gobierno del Estado de Jalisco
- 1994 2004 Research Director, U.S. Mexico Conflict Resolution Center, New Mexico State University
- 2004-2005 Visiting Professor, Malaysia International Business Program, Stamford College, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- 2004-2011 Visiting Professor, Consortium of International Management and Business Analysis, Paderno del Grappa, Italy: University of Iowa, TIPPIE College of Business (September-December 2011); University of Kansas, KU School of Business (September-December 2004)
- 2004 Visiting Scholar and Lecturer, Stockholm School of Economics, Riga, Latvia
- 2004 Visiting Professor, Department of Management and Industrial Relations, College of Business Administration, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii (July/August 2004)
- 1998 Visiting Scholar, Said M.O. Binzagr Company, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- 1989 1995 Director of Management Doctoral Program, College of Business Administration and Economics, New Mexico State University
- 1989-1995 Associate Professor of Management, College of Business, New Mexico State University
- 1982 1989 Assistant Professor of Organizational Behavior, Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University.
- 1979 1982 Assistant Professor of Management, School of Management, State University of New York at Binghamton.
Other Professional Activities:
- Organizational consultant
- Faculty appointments (Case Western Reserve University, State University of New York at Binghamton, New Mexcio State University)
- Visiting faculty appointments (Benedictine University, Helsinki University of Technology, Instituto Tecnologico de Destudios Superiores de Occidente in Guadalajara, Mexico, Consortium Institute of Management and International Business Studies in Asolo, Italy, Poznan School of Banking, Poznan, Poland, Graduate Institute of Management, Seoul, Korea)
- Member Executive Committee Academy of Management (Organization Development and Change Division).